Our Best Mommy Recipes

Welcome to Our Best Mommy Recipes! We all have author ability - so go ahead and post as many recipes as you'd like. The first time, you'll need to accept the author invitation email that was sent to you. Going forward sign in first. Click "New Post" in the upper right hand corner. In the "Title" box put the name of your recipe. Then put the ingredients and directions in the "Compose" box. And make sure to put your first name in the "Labels for this post" box before you click "Publish Post".

Friday, January 27, 2012

Secret Ingredient Chili (Stovetop or Slow Cooker)

Adapted from MSPI Mama, who got it from Whole Foods
  • 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 small yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped (I'd dice these finer next time so Russell can't find them)
  • 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped, optional (I used 1/2 a 4oz can of green chiles)
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 lb. ground white or dark meat turkey (I used ground beef)
  • 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, with their liquid
  • 1 (15-oz.) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tbsp. chili powder (I used half this amount - we don't like things spicy)
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin (I used half this amount)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 (15-oz.) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (When doubling, I used black beans for my 2nd can)

Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, jalapenos, if using, and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add turkey and cook until browned. Add tomatoes, pumpkin, water, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and add beans. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes more. Ladle chili into bowls and serve.

To do it in the slow cooker instead, brown just the meat, then mix everything in the slow cooker (minus the water and olive oil). Cook on low for 7 hours. A double batch fit well in my large slow cooker.

The secret ingredient is pumpkin. Don't worry, you don't taste it at all. It just makes it nice and thick and creamy.

Serve with cornbread, and top with shredded cheese.

I'm committing to one slow cooker soup a week for the rest of the winter. So I'm looking for any other ideas you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment