3/4 lb. mild Italian sausage
2 1/2 c. beef broth (I use reduced-sodium)
4 c. tomato juice
1-2 tbs. dried oregano, or to taste (I prefer a little extra)
15 oz. can tomato sauce
8 oz. drained diced tomatoes (=1/2 can), or fresh diced tomatoes
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tbs. fresh basil, chopped
1 1/2 c. sliced zucchini and yellow squash (quartered, then thinly sliced)
10 oz. fresh cheese tortellini pasta
1 tbs. fresh or dried parsley
ground black pepper, to taste
salt, to taste
Brown sausage over medium heat, breaking up into small pieces. Set aside in another bowl. Saute the chopped onion in the sausage drippings until tender. Add garlic and cook for a few minutes longer. Stir in beef broth, tomatoes, basil, oregano, parsley, tomato sauce, tomato juice, pepper, salt, zucchini, and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 20-30 minutes. Add tortellini during the last 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese before serving. I usually serve this with sweet corn bread.
This is really good! I felt like it had something for everyone - Teddy ate the sausage, Russell ate the pasta. Next time I'll try mini tortellini (do they have such a thing?). And maybe simmer with the cover off to thicken it up.
ReplyDelete